In 2012 CPA Camera Club held the inaugural Will McCrum Memorial Cup competition. This annual competition, now in its seventh year, aims to celebrate the life and talents of one of the club’s and Northern Ireland’s most well-loved photographers.
“On the 25th June 2012 the CPA lost one of its longest serving members, William McCrum, who passed away peacefully at his home after a short period of illness.
Will McCrum Jnr (as is engraved on many of the CPA exhibition trophies) joined the CPA in 1941. I can only put that into perspective when I do the sums and work out that he had been a member for 47 years when I joined in 1988. He served 71 years of continuous membership to the club.
Known to everyone simply as Will, his contribution to the CPA and the world of photography both nationally and internationally should never be forgotten. His earliest success at the CPA exhibition was in 1946 in the mono advanced portraits & figures studies section. During his 71 years he has had 114 1st places in the print sections and 40 1st places in the slide sections – 154 1st places in total.
Will joined the RPS and got his LRPS in 1953 and his ARPS in 1964. He never applied for any PAGB
awards, but was awarded the APAGB award for meritorious service to photography in 1984. From
the back of Will’s early prints I noted that he had achieved an AFIAP and on the later prints an EFIAP
(excellence) which is awarded to photographers who have had a certain number of prints accepted
at international salons.
It was clear that letters meant little to Will. The proof of his passion to the art of photography was in the way he showed his work. Prints had to be big, no A4s, 20”x24” were the norm. It was clear that portraiture was also his favourite photographic subject.
To honour his memory the CPA have set up a new portraiture competition open to all members of clubs affiliated to NIPA.”
As anyone who knew him would attest, Will took joy in large prints and whilst Will took many different types of photograph he is perhaps best remembered for his portraiture, especially his character studies. To celebrate these facts, the Will McCrum Memorial Cup seeks to give Northern Ireland photographers a chance to show their portraiture work in a larger scale.
We hope this competition continues to excite the imagination of photographers across Northern Ireland.
- The competition is open to any paid up member of a NIPA affiliated club
- The theme for the competition is “Human Portraiture”
- This is a print-only competition
- Prints may be in Black & White or Colour
- Minimum mount size is 50cm on the longest edge (e.g. 50cm x 40cm is acceptable)
- Prints (excluding mount) must have at least one side of 40cm or longer (e.g. 40cm x 30cm is acceptable)
- All prints must be the original work of the entrant
- All prints must contain the print title, the author’s name, address and contact details on the back of the print only
Unless the author states otherwise in writing, it will be assumed that any print may be used to promote this event
No image may be entered which is essentially the same, or so similar as to be essentially the same, as any previous entry in this competition
- All reasonable care will be taken with entries but we regret no responsibility for loss or damage will be accepted
- Entry fee for this competition is £1 per print
- Entries should be left with Vittorio Silvestri before 3rd December 2019. Contact: M:07974993314, E:email@example.com