For the Stanley Matchett Trophy
- An essay may be in black & white or colour or a mixture of both or a collage on one board – digital or conventional.
- The maximum number of prints per essay is 6.
- The maximum number of essays per member is 4.
- Each essay should have a title, either on the board or on a separate title card.
- The preferred format is one board, maximum size being A1, approx 23”x 32”, but 6 or less individual prints are also permitted.
- This is a print-only competition.
Remember that a photo essay should, by using a number of related images, be capable of telling a particular story, with or without added text. It is not a series of shots of the same item or location. The standard formula used by all photo editors is based on the 3-image concept of:
- The establishing shot (wide angle).
- The medium (move closer).
- The detail (close-up).
It could, following the 3-image principle, use up to 6 photos, but only if it strengthens the storyline. Always think in terms of films and books. They can be of varying lengths, but they always tell their story with a ‘Beginning’, ‘Middle’ and an ‘End’.
You may also find this article useful.